2022 is the year to get back out there and explore the world! After a … Read more
Hanyang Summer School
Study in Seoul at the largest international summer school program in South Korea at the respected Hanyang University. As one of the country’s leading research institutions offering a wide range of courses in English, particularly in STEM, Hanyang University welcomes around 2,000 students from around the world every summer. Choose two or three classes in the fields of your choice while also being introduced to the contemporary South Korean culture through included excursions and activities. Throughout it all, you’ll also receive beginning-to-end support from resident TEAN staff, accommodation and more to make the most of your summer in Seoul!
Spend your summer in Seoul, one of the world’s most exciting cities
Take 1 - 3 courses in a range of subjects with an emphasis in STEM, including engineering, science, math, business and economics, art and design, communications and more (Korean language courses are also offered)
Have the option of gaining 9 credits in just 4 weeks for an intensive learning experience
Dive into Korean culture with university-hosted activities and excursions – classes are taught Monday through Thursday, with included cultural activities held on Friday or Saturday
Participate in valuable TEAN and university orientations at the start of your program
Benefit from access to TEAN’s Seoul Resident Director for continued support throughout the duration of the summer program
Arrive in South Korea for a one-day orientation run by our Seoul-based staff. An introductory tour around Seoul and welcome dinner will get you accustomed to your surroundings and our local support team.
You’ll stay in on-campus dormitories that will help immerse you into Korean student life right away! Dorms consist of air-conditioned double rooms with free WiFi. You also have access to laundry facilities, dining halls, convenience stores, cafes and a fitness center.
Our team works with you start to finish through the study abroad process. Our programs staff will help guide you through the application process to go abroad, then upon arrival in South Korea, you will meet our team who will provide assistance during your time in-country. Our staff is readily available and able to assist you with any academic, social, or cultural questions or issues that you may face during your time abroad.Meet the Team
Hanyang University hosts three included cultural excursions over the four-week program. Students choose what they want to participate in from six unique activities showcasing contemporary Korean culture, such as visiting SM Town (the hub for K-Pop), spending the day at Everland (Korea’s largest amusement park) or watching a performance of the world-famous NANTA show (a cooking-themed performance involving percussion, acrobatics and more).
About Hanyang University
- Established in 1939, specifically as a university of technology, Hanyang University is one of the top private research institutions in South Korea.
- The university ranks 24th in the 2020 QS World University Rankings of the best universities in Asia and 150th in the world.
- While the university has expanded to offer a comprehensive range of courses, it is still known for its technological focus and was ranked 11th in Reuter’s 2019 Asia Pacific’s Most Innovative Universities
- Located in east Seoul, Hanyang University’s campus is easily accessible to the rest of the capital.
- The campus is similar to American university campuses, offering comparable student facilities and amenities.
Hanyang University is a traditional campus located in Eastern Seoul. Visit the google map link below to see the location.View Map
Choose from more than 90 courses across 14 disciplines taught in English, plus have the option to take Korean language courses. Course registration will open in April, so we recommend students submit all application materials by early April to ensure they can register in the first round of enrollment. Students can make changes up until the first week of classes during the add/drop period.
Students can enroll in 1-3 courses (3-9 Hanyang credits), which usually transfers as 3-9 U.S. semester credits or 4.5-13.5 quarter credits. Some elective courses are only worth 1 credit (1 U.S. semester credit). The participant’s home university will determine ultimate credit approval and transfer.
Courses are available in English in the below disciplines. For detailed instructions on how to find courses and to see a list of available courses, please see our course selection instructions.Course Selection
|Communications & Media||
|Humanities & Social Sciences||
|Visual, Performing Arts & Design||
- 2.5 GPA. Students with a slightly lower GPA should contact TEAN and may be admitted on a case-by-case basis.
- Enrolled at a two- or four-year institution at the time of participation.
- Gap year students can apply if they have completed high school at the time of enrollment, and can show proof of acceptance into a U.S. institution for the semester immediately following their program at Hanyang University.
Dates, Fees & Inclusions
TEAN has a rolling admissions process. We recommend submitting your application anytime from January for Summer applications. Late applications may be considered. Contact TEAN if the application deadline has passed.
Summer 2022 Dates
|Application Deadline||May 15|
|Arrival Date||June 25|
|TEAN Orientation||June 26|
|HYU Orientation||June 27|
|Classes Begin||June 28|
|Program Ends||July 24|
Summer 2022 Fees
- Tuition for 1-3 courses (you choose how many courses you want to take; the program fee stays the same)
- Off-campus student accommodation
- Public transportation card loaded with funds to transport to and from campus for classes.
- Comprehensive overseas health insurance
- Services of local Resident Directors
- TEAN Arrival Orientation Program
- Host university orientation
- A TEAN cultural excursion to Busan
- Travel arrangements and advice
- University and course selection advice
- Official academic transcripts from host institution
- Credit approval and transfer assistance
- Academic advising
- Airport pickup and reception
- Pre-departure planning sessions and assistance from U.S.-based TEAN staff (including pre-departure guide for students and immigration/visa assistance)
- A truly one of a kind adventure!
What’s Not Included
- International airfare ($1,500)
- Books ($40-100)
- Personal expenses ($750-1,000)
- Meals ($700-1,000)
- Airport transfer at end of program ($10 for public transportation or $60-80 for taxi)
- Travel insurance ($350)
Apply for TEAN scholarships – starting at $1,000 – for the chance to receive money specifically for studying abroad. Each year we award thousands of dollars in need- and merit-based scholarships, diversity scholarships, a full ride scholarship and more. Visit our scholarships page for details!
We Love Seoul
Student Service Manager - Seoul
A visit to the breathtaking Changdeokgung Palace and its Secret Garden is a great way to spend an afternoon. Make sure to reserve your spot on a guided tour – there are several options in English – and you’ll leave with a wealth of historical knowledge and some beautiful photos!
Senior Program Manager
The Hongdae neighborhood is the center of nightlife for college students in Seoul – you’ll likely make some new friends from all over the world hanging out in Hongdae Park. Try to catch one of the many cool events, like Silent Discos that take place very frequently right inside the playground area. All throughout the city you’ll randomly come across a street performance or a parade of some sort but Hongdae is an especially great area for interesting activities and delicious street food.