Advance your education with a master’s degree abroad. We’re here to help make the process easy! When applying through TEAN, you can choose from master’s programs abroad in Australia and New Zealand. We partner with seven of the eight New Zealand universities and 19 of the 37 public universities in Australia, which means you can find the perfect program to meet your interests and lifestyle. While all fields are available, we see many American students heading to Australia to study specialized fields such as medicine, physiotherapy, and veterinary medicine. Whatever you choose for your graduate program abroad, you’ll benefit from our expert team advising you throughout the entire process…and at no cost to you.


Benefit from Australia and New Zealand’s globally recognized higher education systems with highly-ranked institutions across the region, including 5 universities in Australia ranked in the top 50 universities in the world

Connect with an international community, living in a different country while getting to know both locals and other international students

Complete your master’s degree more quickly and affordably than in the U.S. (Many programs typically run for 1-1.5 years.)

Choose from master’s programs at 20 of the 37 public universities in Australia and all 8 universities in New Zealand with our Degree Programs team guiding you on the best university and degree for you

Live and study in some of the world’s most liveable locations, known for their safe cities, outdoor lifestyles, incredible landscapes, and friendly communities

Take advantage of the opportunity to work part-time while studying with minimum wages set at over $19/hour

Master's Degrees


A master’s degree in Australia or New Zealand focusing on business, humanities, or science fields are similar in structure to the U.S. and take 1-2 years to complete. Popular programs include business, communications and media, international relations, IT, marine science and environment.

There are three types of master’s degrees offered by our partner universities:

  • Master’s degree by coursework – Requires the student to attend classes and complete assignments and projects. Students are assessed by written examinations, assignments, group presentations, and individual presentations.
  • Master’s degree by research – Consists of a research project and written thesis. There is no coursework involved.
  • Master’s degree by coursework and research – Consists of one year of coursework and a research project related to the student’s area of interest.


Professional master’s programs prepare students for degrees in specific fields, such as  medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, law, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech pathology, chiropractic, teaching.

Master’s degree programs for professional fields like physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech pathology, chiropractic, and teaching usually take two years to complete.

Graduate programs in medicine (MD), dentistry (DDS/DDM), veterinary medicine (DVM), physiotherapy (DPT) or law (JD) are considered extended master’s degrees and are 2-4 year programs.

Some schools offer fast-track options to allow students to complete their graduate degrees in a shorter period than the program lengths indicated above.

Professional programs in Australia are typically available at the undergraduate and graduate level. Students who have completed a bachelor’s degree in the US wanting to study one of these fields would typically consider the graduate entry professional degrees.

Degree Recognition


While you may or may not be familiar with the university to which you are applying, TEAN’s partner universities are highly recognized institutions known around the world for academic excellence and leading research. Five of the Australian universities are ranked in the top 50 universities in the world based on the QS World University Rankings.

The majority of our university partners are also recognized and have approval from the U.S. Department of Education to participate in the Federal Financial Aid program. This means you may be eligible to fully fund the tuition and living expenses through U.S student loans for your Master’s degree abroad.

Degree Recognition for professional programs

Some professional fields of study, such as psychology, education, law, nursing, medicine, dentistry, and psychology, are connected to an accrediting body and you will need to have your degree assessed to meet U.S qualifications and eligibility to work in that field. These kinds of professions may require you to complete further studies or exams when you return to the U.S. to ensure your degree is comparable to the U.S equivalent and recognized in the state you want to work. We encourage you to research how to transfer a degree of this kind back to the U.S. before applying for programs.

Academic Calendar


For most Australian and New Zealand universities, the academic year runs from February to November. Intakes typically occur in February or July each year. February is the primary intake period and preferred commencement date when planning your studies. Some universities or programs have different starting times, however, so contact us to get exact start dates for the specific programs you’re considering. 

Tuition & Finances


Tuition costs vary by university and degree program. The average tuition costs/year for a  graduate degree is approximately $18,000-$28,000 USD. Expect higher tuition costs for professional programs and MBAs.


Students should budget a minimum of approximately $15,000 USD per year ($20,000 AUD/NZD) for living expenses.


While tuition fees tend to be lower in Australia and New Zealand compared to out-of-state fees and private colleges in the U.S., you may still require financial assistance to complete your degree program. While TEAN cannot process and distribute financial aid, we can assist and advise you on application procedures and available funding sources.


Most Australian and New Zealand schools are accredited by the U.S. Department of Education to administer the U.S. Direct Loan Program (U.S. Financial Aid/Federal Loan Program) to U.S. citizens. This means if you are enrolled in a full-time bachelor’s degree, you can take out U.S. loans to cover some of the costs. Contact us for more information on which schools participate and how much you can borrow. For bachelor’s degrees, students are typically only eligible for minimal  loan amounts unless you are a dependent. You may also be eligible for a Stafford Loan for your degree program, along with the repayment and deferment schemes it includes.

To apply for US Federal Financial Aid you will need to complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and an application directly with your Australian or New Zealand school.  You do not commence this process until after you have received an offer.  TEAN will connect you with the relevant US loans officers at the schools who will step you through the entire application process.



  • Official academic transcript from your bachelor’s degree and any other completed higher education.
  • The minimum GPA requirement is 2.5, however many universities have higher requirements.
  • Some programs require CVs (resumes), additional statements, or academic references.
  • Some graduate programs (such as MBAs or professional graduate programs) require standardized test results but most master’s programs do not require any test for admission.

Contact us for further information on admission requirements.

How We Help


Going to university in Australia or New Zealand is an incredible experience, but figuring out to set up everything on your own can be a difficult process.

TEAN’s Degree Programs Manager has more than 15 years of experience working with universities in Australia and New Zealand and can provide personalized guidance to help select the university and degree that’s the best fit for you.

If you want advice on programs and universities, contact our Degree Programs Manager.


If you know the program/s you want to apply for, contact the Degree Programs Manager to receive details on the specific application process for your selected program/s.

There is no fee to use our services, and some universities we work with waive your application fee if you apply through TEAN.

We recommend applying 6-12 months in advance of the program start date and no later than four months prior to the program start. University deadlines are usually three months prior to the start date, but we advise you to start the process much earlier.

Most institutions have “rolling admissions,” meaning you can apply at any time. However, some program applications are only open at set times (such as in medical fields), so please ask us for deadlines for your selected program/s.

TEAN’s Degree Programs Manager will provide you with all you need to apply for your chosen program and will submit the application on your behalf.

You will need to send one set of official transcripts to TEAN’s U.S. office. (Even if you are applying for multiple programs, you will only need to submit one set of transcripts to TEAN.) As a representative of the universities, TEAN will certify your transcripts on your behalf and use them for multiple applications.

Applications also require a copy of your passport. However, if you are currently renewing your passport or don’t have one yet, please go ahead and submit your application to TEAN. The overseas university can still evaluate your application and grant you a conditional acceptance until you can send a copy of your passport.

If you have taken college courses and would like to transfer credit, you will be able to indicate this in your application. Transfer credit is determined by the university to which you are applying. TEAN cannot make a determination or evaluation of previous coursework. If the overseas university grants you admission into a full degree program, your acceptance will indicate which courses will and will not transfer.

You should expect a response from the university within 3-12 weeks. Since TEAN’s Degrees Program Manager is based in Australia, in the same time zone as the schools, she will follow up on your behalf with the universities.

In some cases, the university will contact you directly with the outcome of your application. Other times, TEAN will notify you. Either way, you will receive notice as soon as a decision has been made.

When the university or universities send you an offer, you then need to accept your offer officially. In some cases, universities issue a conditional offer. This means that you may need to meet a condition before a non-conditional offer can be made. (For example, successfully completing your bachelor’s degree.)


Once you have accepted a place at an Australian or New Zealand university and paid your deposit, your selected university will send you the documentation needed to apply for a student visa, as well as other pre-departure materials with details on accommodation options. TEAN can provide ongoing assistance and advice regarding housing.

From the Blog